If you are not then you really should be as LinkedIn is a professional, business networking tool. It has been viewed by some as falling into social networking area but even though many of the same modes of operation are employed, the focus is on professionals, professional dialog, professional opportunities, and companies in essence a business tool.
Many people like to network as part of their quest to get business and this can be in the form of shows, exhibitions, conferences etc where you meet like minded people but Linkedin can allow you to do this from your desktop.
There are a few things to watch out for if you are using Linkedin
- Complete your profile – ensure you add all your work and education experience and do not leave it part completed.
- Add a photo – add a photo but make sure it conveys the professional image you would like to show rather than an image of you relaxing on holiday.
- Build your Connections– Use the Add Connections wizard to see who you know is already on Linkedin and request connections from there as you meet people ensure you add them to your network.
- Endorse Me– Make requests for contacts to endorse your work and recommend you but be careful who you ask so that you avoid offending someone and avoid the situation when you see someone looking for a job suddenly getting lots of endorsements in a short space of time, be patient and build them gradually.
- Join Groups – By joining groups you are widening your networking circle
The more you put into Linkedin the more you will get back out of it.